San Marcos Page 10

Links:

 

 

 

  Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
CONTINUED   Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8
  Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12

*  A short walk along the Canal brings one to the Bridge of Sighs.  Built in 1600, it passes over the Rio di Palazzo and connects the old prisons to the interrogation rooms in the Doges Palace.

* The view from the Bridge of Sighs was the last view of Venice that convicts saw before their imprisonment. The bridge name, given by Lord Byron in the 19th century, comes from the suggestion that prisoners would sigh at their final view of beautiful Venice out the window before being taken down to their cells. In reality, the days of inquisitions and summary executions were over by the time the bridge was built, and the cells under the palace roof were occupied mostly by small-time criminals.

. .
Pillars Crowds
Pillars that guard the entrance to St. Mark's square from the Canal Walk - the traditional winged lion and (probably St. Mark) It was a little crowded here
Bridge of Sighs Canal Walk
The Bridge of Sighs.  Apparently it also has magical powers, making one invisible to drunks on the pedestrian bridge.
Canal Walk Canal Walk
Strolling the canal - a great way to pass an afternoon.  Notice the high water platform in the photo above (left).
Canal Walk San Giorgio
Waterfront San Giorgio visible across the canal
Canal Walk Gondolas
Catching some afternoon rays Gondola fleet
Sunset Bridge of Sighs
San Marcos at night
Bell Tower Night shot
San Marcos at night
. .

  Prior Page Go to Top Next Page Up one level